Friday, July 1, 2011

TGIF! {1}

Mr. and Mrs: Who are your favorite book couples?

Alright. At first, I looked at the question and was like, "Who are my favorite book couples?" And then I started making a list on the side and was like, "Oh man, gotta pick only a few of them."

So I did a Top Ten Countdown (not in terms of least to best, but more of just jotting them down as they come to me). Prepare yourself for romantic overload.


#10 

:: Percy Jackson and the Olympians :: 
Percy and Annabeth


  Alright. I cannot tolerate the idea of this pairing being called a "Percabeth". In my head, it always comes out "Porkabeth" and then I start thinking of Porky Pig (don't ask; I don't even understand the way my own mind works sometimes). To make a long story short, I think that Percy and Annabeth are absolutely adowable. I mean, growing up together (for the most part), fighting monsters and being able to understand those dylexia issues and couple visits to Olympus...what more could you want?

On a side note... I cannot tolerate Logan Lerman. He is not my idea of Percy Jackson, and he never will be. That also goes for what's-her-face Annabeth. Unfortunately, thanks to Hollywood, they are the only faces I see in my head. So yeah.
#9

:: A Wrinkle in Time ::
Meg and Calvin 


When I was younger, Meg and Calvin were the ultimate sweet couple IMO. I always remember that moment when Calvin takes away Meg's glasses and tells her to keep them on around other guys because she has "dreamboat" eyes. Guh.
#8

:: Avalon High ::
Will and Ellie 



I love this book. Love, love, love this book. Ellie is still one of my favorite female characters and Will - Will is just amazing. He's the perfect young reincarnation of King Arthur, even if he doesn't know it yet, and I was so relieved that he wasn't going to go with Guinevere after all. I mean, their love story is practically nonexistent in the first place. I could see Arthur and The Lady of the Lake having better chemistry. The manga spin-off totally disappointed me because WILL TOTALLY LOOKED LIKE A GIRL. No joke. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm a bit afraid to.

#7

::  Northanger Abbey ::
Henry Tilney and Catherine Morland 


Yep, surprised you, didn't I? Well, when all is said and done, I adore all Austen couples (and yes, I know that the author herself was a spinster, stop rubbing it in), but to me, Henry and Catherine were more realistic. Misunderstandings, daddy issues, betrayals...And *cough cough* I might see a little too much of myself in Catherine sometimes - with the engrossed in reading and writing and living out this entire fantasy in my head with me as the main character...wait, ignore the last part.  At least that means there's a practical Henry to level me out somewhere out there.

#6

:: The Gallagher Girls ::
Zach and Cammy



To me, Zack works so much better with Cammy. He's in the espionage business, for one thing - no secrets to break the relationship - and who can resist a guy who knows at least a hundred different ways of defending himself? No wusses welcome here, boys.

#5

:: Heist Society ::
Hale and Katerina 



Hale, Hale, Hale. He's so debonair, so self-assured, and he has a sense of humor too. What's there not to like? He and Kat have this whole tug of war thing going on that makes you just want to push them together and be like, "Aww! You guys are so cute!"

Ahem. Anyway, their relationship is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to Uncommon Criminals.
#4

:: Shiver ::
Sam and Grace



He's a werewolf singer-songwriter. She's a young girl who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Just looking at the book on the library shelf is enough to give me a shiver - but in the best sort of ways. I cannot even tell you how much I loved this story. Really. I won't be able to do justice to it. It's one of those things you have to read to understand for yourself.

(And no, not in the Twilight way. More in the lyrical "this poem just gets to me" way.)

#3

:: Taming of the Shrew ::
Petruchio and Kate 


Sorry, folks. Romeo and Juliet don't cut it.

Kate is the right type of heroine: fiery, still holding her spark even if love mellows her out a bit. If they could make Petruchio the way I see him - in his twenties, without the beer belly and moustache that most actors seem to wear for the part - it would be positively perfect.
#2

:: Howl's Moving Castle ::
Howl and Sophie
 
 
 
Honestly? They make such a good couple. The sensible, cautious, and almost boringly ordinary (at least in her own eyes) Sophie with the literal creator of the term "drama king" - and I say this with all due affection. If you haven't read the book or seen the cartoon, do so. Just have your hankies ready.
 
#1

:: Leviathan ::
Alek and Deryn



 Oh yeah. You're probably sick of hearing about it now.
Too bad. 'S my blog and I can talk about what I want.

Sure, Alek might not even be aware of the fact that Deryn is a girl yet, but Mr. Westerfield is going to fix that this fall, won't you, Mr. Westerfield? (Please keep in mind that I have a league of steampunk fans behind me also rooting for the same goal. You know, if your pen happens to slip and things don't work out between Deryn and Alek. Just remember that.)


***Bonus Couple***

Ron and Hermione 

   Okay, I've never read Harry Potter, but I've read enough of the fanfic and seen movie clips to vote on Ron and Hermione as the best couple. And, thanks to Emma and Rupert, quite adorable as well. 


3 comments:

Alissa said...

Howl and Sophie!!! How could I not list them?! Ah, such a great pick. :D

Brooke said...

Meg and Calvin are a cute couple. Heck, I'd take anyone that looked like Gregory Smith. :p You reminded me of Ellie and Will! There romance is one of the reasons I love Avalon High!

~Brooke
http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com

Mickey said...

Awww fantastic list!! :o) I see your favorite Austen choice. I still need to read that one, believe it or not!

Mickey @ imabookshark

Post a Comment