Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Goliath

Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
Scott Westerfield
September 20, 2011

Alek and Deryn are on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek’s throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love. The first two objectives are complicated by the fact that their ship, the Leviathan, continues to detour farther away from the heart of the war (and crown). And the love thing would be a lot easier if Alek knew Deryn was a girl. (She has to pose as a boy in order to serve in the British Air Service.) And if they weren’t technically enemies.

The tension thickens as the Leviathan steams toward New York City with a homicidal lunatic on board: secrets suddenly unravel, characters reappear, and nothing is at it seems in this thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld’s brilliant trilogy.


Okay. So, for a moment, can I just break away from the distinguished, unbiased facade of a book blogger and tell you JUST HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SERIES? Seriously. I've read steampunk before this, but this series really threw me headlong into a life-long love affair with the genre. Historical fiction, derring-do, and that famous complication that William Shakespeare made famous: the pants-and-trousers role.

I'm really impressed that Deryn's managed to keep it up this far.

If you haven't read this series, or (like a few friends of mine) saw the author's name and went, "Ew, he wrote the Uglies series, right?", you have no idea what you're missing out on. Read it. Like, right now.


This meme is hosted by Breaking the Spine. I totally forgot to put the graphic up at the top this week, and it ruins the format when I try to paste in there. Sorry about that.

1 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

Oh, this looks good. It definitely motivates me to read book one sooner than later.

Post a Comment