Friday, November 11, 2011

TGIF! {3}...or {4}, I've Lost Count

TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by the ah-mazing Ginger of GReads as a basic recapping of the week and a question for her followers to answer/ask their own followers. Simply, it's awesome and makes you feel "THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY." Go and join. Now.


Q. Love-hate relationship: Which characters from a book do you love to hate?

Hoo boy. This is going to be good, because I know for a fact that one character I DESPISE in particular is a heroine that most people adore and consequently rebuke (fuss, fume, throw rolling pins at me) for not liking her as well.

But hey, there's no accounting for taste.

Literary Losers (Or, If the World Thought According to Kaye)

Capricorn from Inkheart 

Let's face it - the guy is UGH-LY. Not to mention cruel, sadistic, a bit too obsessed with his evil pet, and at the same time hooked on Meggie's dad for most of the story. Doesn't anyone else find his whole "You must obey me, Silvertongue" hissing a bit...freaky?

Bella Swan from Twilight


Not even going to waste my time. Next.

Amy March from Little Women

Okay, so this might just be the disappointed elementary school girl within lisping, "But I want Jo and Laurie!" But who didn't? (If you were one of those people, please...don't say anything.) Besides, blond curls and simpering smiles may be nice, for the honeymoon period at least, but I don't think I'd want to stick around the first time she throws a tantrum about Laurie's socks not matching hers.

Mrs. Reed from Jane Eyre

I think she's right up there with Blanche Ingram - selfish, narrow-minded, grasping creatures they both are. Of course, you can't help but pity Mrs. Reed a little (her own daughters don't even cry when she dies, and her beloved son has dragged her down with him) but still...

Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games

*scratched record*

...Okay, this is the part where you go, "SAY WHAT?!"

Go ahead. Get it out of your system.

Alright, let's continue.

Sometimes, I feel a little...unusual for not liking Katniss - especially when my friend gave me a long lecture on how independent she is, how kind, how firm, how both Peeta and Gale ADORE her (again, no accounting for taste...I mean, Cinderella's dad thought her new stepmother was the one. Romantic ties don't really amount to much in character)...

The truth is, I really couldn't connect to her. At all. I couldn't see her as this wonderful, all-encompassing girl-hero - just an unlikely shoe-in that begins a bloody revolution simply because she wears this dress that's on fire.

...Really?

Of course, this is just my opinion. If you can tell me something that I've missed about Katniss (or, wonder of wonders, Bella Swan) please, go ahead. Sometimes I do change my aspect on a book once I reread it or someone's pointed out a new point of view.


The Week in Recap


What I Am Reading Today/This Weekend (If You're Interested)


Coming Up Next Week
I try to catch up on reviews and instead write posts for memes. As usual.

In other news, I am trying to draw up a list of books I should read to enhance my library visits (ie. keep me from running around the YA section frantically and irritating my younger sister with my lack of organization). Do you have any recommendations? They'd be much appreciated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment