Monday, July 9, 2012

All the Books: July 9, 2012

All credit for this feature goes to the lovely Jordyn of Ten Cent Notes; I just happened to love the idea and I'm glad she's generous enough to share it so I can fill in my Mondays. All The Books is meant to be a round-up of any book news/excitement over the past week. Since this is the beginning of a new week,I figure that I'll be talking about whatever's happened between last Monday and this one (and I definitely have a lot to catch up on, seeing as I haven't done this in more than a few weeks! Bad Kaye!).

Ready? Here we go...


Current Reads


 

So I just polished off Origin by Jessica Khoury this A.M...love, love, love. It definitely lives up to all the good hype being spread about it. Be sure to keep an eye out for the review, as soon as I write something that sounds remotely un-biased.

Now that's done, I'm going back to focusing on Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan - it's the first I've read of either of them, and so far it's not what I was expecting, but not bad either. I'm also racing back through the Death Note mangas, trying to figure out where I stopped and polish it off once and for all so I won't be caught in suspense over my upcoming Ramadan hiatus. Yes, it's that time of year again (more on that when you scroll down to Up Next).

In addition, I also have a new load of galleys I am PSYCHED to start in on, courtesy of Edelweiss and HarperCollins: The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver, Defiance by C.J. Redwine (!!!) and The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann. Oh, yeah. My reading cup runneth over with all the best of the book world.

From the pile of BEA galleys, I'm debating between The Diviners by Libba Bray and Beta by Rachel Cohn - which I've already seen one blogger I know give a thumbs down, so I'm a bit nervous now...


It's time for a new edition of the Library Haul!




This might be a little premature, seeing as I have to head there tonight or tomorrow for a few new titles that just came in, but whatever. Let's focus on what I already have:
  1. The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
  2. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
  3. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #3: The Unseen Guest by Maryrose Wood
  4. Winterling by Sarah Prineas
  5. The War at Ellesmere by Faith Ellen Hicks
  6. The Mapmaker and the Ghost by Sarvenaz Tash 
  7. Torn by Erica O'Rourke
  8. Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott
And of course, let's not forget Death Note vol. 5 and 3 (I skipped around a bit), Fruits Basket vol. 3 and Gin-Tama vol. 1. It seems like I'm getting back on a manga kick, even as my taste for YA slightly declines. I hate when that happens. Do you have any suggestions on how to knock away the no-reading blues?



New Discoveries



Well, this isn't even debuting until 2013, but it sounds worth the wait! (I mean, steampunk Scotland? What could be better?) I found this through WriteOnCon, since the author is one of their success stories. It really makes me excited for this year's events!



 Up Next


More reading. Not enough writing.

As I mentioned up there a little ways back, it's almost time again for my annual Ramadan reading hiatus. Why, you might ask? Well, a few years ago, my sister and I thought that it would be nice if we focused on the true meaning of going hungry for the daylight hours and, as a result of this concentration, kept away from the fiction. It seems like a good idea until the fiction withdrawal symptoms settle in with the hunger. Ah, well, what can you do?

I'm trying my best to keep the blog active, though - probably by catching up on my long review list, and even hosting a giveaway or two. That should make you guys happy, right? 

Anyway, happy reading to you! What's on your nightstand right now? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment