Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: 2013 Debutantes I Need in My Life


Hosted by The Broke and Bookish; see the site for past and future topics, and other info for jumping in!
 
 
Alright, so I haven't done this dance in a while, but the topic was so good today I couldn't resist, and I know you guys won't be able to either. Okay, ready? It's... Top Ten 2013 Debuts. Perfect, right? (Except for the problem that I'm pretty much psyched for every single title locked in for 2013, but you can't win them all.)
 
Today, however, I'm making my own rule for the post. Instead of ten, I chose thirteen of my favorite books. That way, I got to add on three more titles, and have a way of paying tribute to the awesome books we can look forward to this year.
 
Yes, I know. I'm a genius.
 
 
 
 
1. Dualed by Elsie Chapman - Okay, okay, I know I'm cheating with this one. I've read it, wrote the review, got the t-shirt...hey, wait, I didn't get a t-shirt. Must correct that. But anyway, I don't think it's completely cheating because I now consider Elsie a good friend and I adore her and her writing and I'm totally going to throw a party on her book birthday just because this book is so darn awesome.
 
Moving on...
 
2. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shephard - Anyone willing to lend me an ARC? Because I can't seem to get my hands on this little gem anywhere *sobs* Ah, well, there's always the library.
 
3. Taken by Erin Bowman - Yay for Pub Crawl ladies! Seriously, that blog is manned with the stars of the publishing world. There's also the double-whammy of it having a male protagonist and a cool cover.
 
4. Ink by Amanda Sun - ...And you already probably knew I was going to somehow slip Japan in here somewhere. You guys are really smart, you know that? Or maybe, I'm just a little too predicable. Anyway, I've talked to Amanda a few times around these parts, and she seems really sweet, and of course, have you ever known me to resist a book that involved Japan?! Please.
 
5. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Tucholke - See, this book is mainly why this post is titled the 2013 Debutantes I NEED IN MY LIFE. The new pitch, as taken from Edelweiss, pretty much describes it as Fitzgerald with a dark side. I'm now picturing angsty jazz, dark secrets and possibly someone being hit with a car being driven by a reincarnated Lovecraft monster. (If I'm totally off the mark with this description, someone please go out and write this story.)
 
6. Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis - There isn't a cover for this one yet - at least not that can be found on GoodReads - so I have both that and the general anticipation for this title crushing my soul. Have you read the query letter on YA Highway? This, this is the type of stuff that deserves salvation from the slush pile and a position on my shelf ASAP.
 
7. City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster - Confession: I didn't really know what this book was about until like a few weeks of following Miriam, mainly because I was distracted by how funny and talented she is. But when I realized how much awesome girl-power potential it had, I was all over it. And have yet to get a hand on a copy of it. *growls*
 
8. The Falconer by Elizabeth May - I found out about her through WriteOnCon (she happens to be a success story). Definitely one author you need to keep an eye on: Steampunk Scotland? Forget England, people. This girl's setting out for the new frontier.
 
9. Splintered by A.G. Howard - It's about Alice in Wonderland, which means it's based off a classic, which means that I don't actually have to explain to you how awesome it is and convince you to pick it up. You just will.
 
10. Premeditated by Josein McQuein - Look up the query letter on Query Shark. That is all you need to know.
 
 
Bonus!
 
11. In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters - I love the cover for this one. I love the summary. I love the fact that it's coming out sooner rather than later, so I can actually read it without depending on NetGalley and their capricious way of picking reviewers. :(
 
12. Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood - It involves gypsies. It sounds very Diana Wynne Jones-eque blurb-wise. And it's from Britain. The Charlotte Bronte spirit within me swoons.
 
13. Transparent by Natalie Whipple - Natalie is one of those bloggers slash writers that I just kind of eye shyly and follow avidly. And trust me, you've always wanted to be invisible at some point or another, right? Now you get a look at what it might actually be like!

 
 
 
  
Are any of these on your list? Do you think I missed out on anyone? Let me know, and I wish you a happy 2013 full of rich, inspiring debuts!

1 comments:

Angela said...

Great choices. 2013 looks like it will be a great year for reading :)

Post a Comment