Friday, June 20, 2014

Support Strange Chem Blog Hop



 
This morning, I was staggered to read that Strange Chemistry – a YA imprint I’ve always been fond of for gathering talented authors, unique storylines and diverse casts – has come to an end.

I was horrified as I read authors I know discussing future titles that have been canceled, the staff’s reeling from the decision, and the looming concern that even released titles might not be in print for much longer.

Quite a few authors have requested that readers keep them in mind, but I don’t want to leave it at that. I want to give some support to the books that I’ve enjoyed, and the authors that I know will find new, wonderful opportunities and homes for the stories that they’ve woven so brilliantly.

With that in mind, I’d like to organize a Support Strange Chem blog hop.

What would the blog hop entail? It depends on you.

Personally, I’d like the idea of a post highlighting what you’ve enjoyed about Strange Chemistry, and possibly focusing on a particular title you’ve enjoyed. If you’d like to host a giveaway, that would also be a wonderful way of these authors continuing to bring in new readers.

For inspiration, I’m adding a link to the list of Strange Chemistry’s authors here. I hope that we can do something to bring them comfort in this hard time. I know publishing has its ups and downs, but this has been a real sucker punch to all of us today, and it is going to be difficult to find a new normal after this – particularly if you were directly affected.

If you’d like to join in on this, I’m adding a link widget below. I am planning to post on Monday, the 23rd, so keep that date in mind and get your post ready.

This is a crucial period to turn the tide in favor of these books remaining in print or available in some manner to new readers. Let’s make this transition a bit easier, if we can, and give back to the authors whose words have given us a lot.

As always, if you have suggestions or an awesome idea I haven't thought of, the comments are open to you. Let's make this awesome! 


ETA: Rachel Neuimeier, one of the Strange Chemistry authors, has a comprehensive post on the options available for authors affected, and how she plans to go forward. It is well worth the read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment